We are seeking a tech savvy, highly motivated, articulate, team-oriented Senior Civil Litigation Clerk to join our growing Civil Law Team. The Ross Firm runs a paperless, cloud-based practice. Our civil team handles matters before the Superior Court of Justice, Court of Appeal for Ontario as well as various administrative tribunals. The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience working in civil litigation law and be able to work with less direct supervision. Our civil law practice covers southwestern Ontario and beyond, including our six offices in Goderich, Stratford, Kincardine, Port Elgin, Owen Sound and Walkerton but our reach is province wide. The successful candidate will have proven client management skills, strong analytical, communication, and drafting skills, an entrepreneurial attitude, and a love of technology and innovation. In addition to the foregoing, experience in the following areas is a significant asset: Landlord side landlord tenant board work, small claims court collection work.
- Work closely with civil litigation lawyers, paralegals, clerks, and administrative team
- Effectively participate on the team to provide excellent service to clients
- Organization and management of the licensee calendar for appointments, hearing dates, limitation periods, bring forward dates, and scheduling generally
- Preparing initial drafts of materials as required and instructed
- Communicate by phone and e-mail with clients, opposing counsel, and other parties as required and or instructed
- Complete all substantive information gathering, drafting and participate in the management of civil projects
- Operate seamlessly with technology and practice software, including, but not limited to CLIO and Net Documents or other similar client management and document management software, ACL, Microsoft Office Suite, PDF software (Fox-It, Adobe)
- Maintain daily digital task list for all client files
- Docket time spent on files contemporaneously with work being done
- Any other tasks as assigned
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in a civil litigation practice
- Experience with landlord tenant board matters, small claims, and other tribunal work is a significant asset
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, with an emphasis on excellence to our clients
- Relevant post-secondary education (University Degree or Law Clerk Diploma)
- Thorough knowledge of RCP, legal procedures, and statutes
- Highly organized and able to multi-task and prioritize appropriately
The Ross Firm values our professional staff. We have implemented a 4-day work week as well as a defined benefit pension plan. These programs complement our existing benefit coverage and fitness contribution plans. The Ross Firm offers a hybrid work schedule, with a work from home option one day per week, or more if needed. Remuneration will account for experience.
Interested candidates with a desire to live and work in a rural environment with a dynamic team, participate in a 21st century practice, and be a key member of a positive team should apply in confidence with a cover letter and resume through our website at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.