We are seeking a tech savvy, highly motivated, articulate, team-oriented Criminal Law Clerk to join our growing Criminal Team. The Ross Firm runs a paperless, cloud-based practice. Our criminal team handles criminal defence matters with charges under the Criminal Code of Canada, Part III – Serious Traffic Offences under the Provincial Offences Act and other serious charges such as charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act for serious workplace accidents. The successful candidate will have a minimum of 2 years of experience working in criminal law and will be able to work with less direct supervision. Our criminal practice covers southwestern Ontario and beyond, including our six offices in Goderich, Stratford, Kincardine, Port Elgin, Owen Sound and Walkerton but our reach is province wide. The successful candidate will have proven client management skills, strong analytical, communication, and drafting skills, an entrepreneurial attitude, and a love of technology and innovation.
- Work closely with criminal lawyers, clerks, and administrative team
- Effectively participate on the team to provide excellent service to clients
- Preparing and submitting counsel lists before each court appearance
- Requesting, accessing, and reviewing Crown Disclosure
- Requesting documents from client
- Scheduling client meetings, Crown Pre Trials, Judicial Pre Trial’s, resolutions, Application dates, other Court dates
- Preparing and drafting relevant documents for Court dates for review and approval such as Designations, Notices
of Election, sentencing documents, Pre- Trial Applications, Case Law Briefs, and Judicial Pre-Trial Briefs
- Filing Court documents
- Assistance with all Trial preparation as requested, including use of CaseLines
- Organize and manage the licensees’ calendars for appointments, bring forward dates, Court dates and scheduling
- Communicate by phone and e-mail with clients, Crown’s office, Court staff, and other parties as required and or
- Operate seamlessly with technology and practice software, including, but not limited to Leap Legal, Microsoft
Office Suite, PDF software (Kofax, Adobe)
- Maintain daily digital task list for all client files of what needs to be done and what has been completed
- Any other tasks as assigned
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in a criminal law practice
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, with an emphasis on excellence to our clients
- Relevant post-secondary education (University Degree or Law Clerk Diploma)
- Thorough knowledge of legal procedures and statutes
- Highly organized and able to multi-task and prioritize appropriately
The Ross Firm values our professional staff. We have implemented a 4-day work week as well as a defined benefit pension plan. These programs complement our existing benefit coverage and fitness contribution plans. The Ross Firm offers a hybrid work schedule, with a work from home option one day per week, or more if needed. Remuneration will account for experience.
Interested candidates with a desire to live and work in a rural environment with a dynamic team, participate in a 21st century practice, and be a key member of a positive team should apply in confidence with a cover letter and resume through our website at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.